Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Staying Connected To The Vine"


“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing” (John 15:5, NIV)


Today I read a devotion titled “Genuine Faith” by Micca Campbell (http://www.miccacampbell.com/). Micca’s devotion was very encouraging and it caused me to reflect on “What is genuine faith?” and “Why do I do the things I do and who am I doing them for?”

Micca describes genuine faith as “a relationship between us and God that begins by faith, is lived by faith, and ends in faith. It's that simple. Everything else - such as good works - flows from the source of this relationship.” Faith “is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1, NIV).

We are not meant to carry life’s burdens on our own. Jesus paid our debt on the cross. Our job is to trust Him, to have faith in Him. When we place our faith in God, we no longer have to carry our heavy loads. We can surrender it all to God and He will deliver us. Having faith is not about religion but about relationship, having a personal relationship with our Creator. It’s not about telling God what we want to do for Him, but rather seeking His will for our life and allowing Him to lead the way; it is looking to see where God is working and joining Him there. I don’t know about you, but when I try to do anything in my own strength and anything that is out of God’s will for my life, I fail every time. When I do what He calls me to do and in His strength, I am successful every time and can find joy in all things no matter what the circumstances.

My life before I placed my faith in Christ is not one I want to go back to, but it is one I am thankful for because it brought me a step closer to my Creator and to this awesome place of true joy and genuine faith in Him. Before I began to trust Jesus, to truly trust Him, if someone would have asked me “why do you do the things you do and who do you do them for,” the answer would have been “me.” I did it all for me, out of selfish desires and wants.

I am still a work in progress and have yet so much more to learn, but if you ask me today “why do you do the things you do and who do you do them for,” the answer is simple. I live my life for the One who gave me life. I do what I do for the One who taught me how to love (1 John 4:19, NIV) and whose love endures forever (Psalm 118:1, NIV); the One who goes before me, who will never leave me nor forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV); the One who puts the love and joy in my heart no matter what life brings; my Source and the Source of all things.

What’s the secret to living a life of genuine faith and true joy? It’s simple. Stay connected to the Vine. Make a daily commitment to connect with God. We can connect with Him anytime and anywhere through prayer. There is no right or wrong way to pray. To pray simply means talking to God. Praying is like anything we do, it takes practice. But once we master it, we will reap the rewards. Ask Jesus into your heart today and trust in Him for your every need. God is faithful and He will deliver you from evil and set you free.
Dear Lord, please help me to stay connected to the Vine. Help me to surrender my all to you and to trust you with my every need so I may bear your fruit and reap the harvest you have promised. In Jesus' name, Amen.

POWER VERSES

John 15:5, NIV ~ “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing”

Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV ~ “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged”

Philippians 4: 4, 6-7, ESV ~ “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus”

Philippians 4:13, NKJV ~ "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List